Skip to content

Chapter History

Amos Sturgis Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on February 4, 1922, with 16 members. Four of those members were descendants of Amos Sturgis: Martha Sturgis Brown, Henrietta Sturgis Flanders, Myra Sturgis and Hannah J. Kelley. The first Regent was Bertha Miner Packard. Throughout the history of this chapter, there has always been a descendant of Captain Amos Sturgis in the chapter.

Martha Sturgis Brown was the motivating spirit in the organization of Amos Sturgis Chapter, NSDAR. The newly formed chapter chose the name Amos Sturgis, to honor Mrs. Brown’s American Revolutionary War ancestor Captain Amos Sturgis. His service was in Pennsylvania between the years 1776-1780. The Sturgis heritage in Michigan begins in the late 1820s when Amos’ son John Sturgis settled in the St. Joseph Valley in Michigan. John Sturgis later became Judge John Sturgis. In 1857 the legislature passed a law to replot and combine two communities into one, naming the new town, Sturgis. Today, the City of Sturgis maintains the site of Judge John Sturgis’ original home site which can be seen at Pioneer Park.

Amos Sturgis Chapter, NSDAR, late 1990s